Cashmere, often referred to as the "diamond fiber”. Like most luxurious items, the utmost care is needed to ensure its longevity. As a connoisseur in men's fashion, you've invested in the finest cashmere pieces, and now it's time to master the art of caring for your cashmere pieces. In this guide, we'll delve into the delicate nature of cashmere and provide you with a step-by-step guide to care for your items.
Understanding the Delicate Nature of Cashmere:
Cashmere, derived from the soft undercoat of cashmere goats, boasts unmatched softness and insulation. However, its delicate nature requires special attention to maintain its quality over time. Here's why cashmere needs a little extra TLC:
- Fine Fibers: Cashmere fibers are finer than human hair, making them susceptible to breakage and damage. Proper care is essential to prevent pilling and maintain the fabric's integrity.
- Natural Oils: Cashmere contains natural oils that contribute to its softness. Harsh cleaning methods can strip these oils, leaving the fabric dry and prone to damage.
Step-by-Step Guide to Caring for Cashmere
How to store cashmere:
- Fold, don't Hang: Hanging cashmere can lead to stretching and distortion. Instead, fold your cashmere garments to preserve their shape.
- Breathable storage: Use breathable garment bags or cotton storage bags to protect your cashmere from dust and moths while allowing air circulation.
- Avoid direct sunlight: Store your cashmere in a cool, dark place to prevent fading and discoloration.
How to clean cashmere:
- Spot Cleaning: Tend to stains quickly with a mild detergent or baby shampoo. Gently blot the stain without rubbing to avoid fibre damage.
- Hand Wash: Hand washing is the safest method for cleaning cashmere. Use lukewarm water and a small amount of gentle detergent. Soak the garment for 10-15 minutes, then rinse with cold water.
- Never Wring: Press out excess water gently, but never wring or twist the fabric, as this can lead to distortion.
- Lay Flat to Dry: Place your cashmere garments on a clean, dry towel and reshape them to their original dimensions. Allow them to air dry naturally.
Another option is drying cleaning; however, this option is significantly harder on the fibers. It is also important to note that if you are dealing with a deep stain, dry cleaning can set the stain into the fibers permanently. You will want to hand wash the stain out first, and then send to the cleaners.
Prolonging the Life of Cashmere:
- Rotate Your Wardrobe: Avoid excessive wear by rotating your cashmere pieces. This allows them to recover and maintain their shape.
- Use a Cashmere Comb: To combat pilling, gently use a cashmere comb to remove any loose fibres. Do this periodically to keep your garments looking fresh.
- Avoid Jewelry and Sharp Objects: Be mindful of accessories that can snag or pull at your cashmere. Remove jewelry before wearing and avoid contact with sharp objects.
- Protect from Perfumes and Deodorants: Allow your skincare products to fully absorb before dressing in cashmere to prevent potential discoloration and damage.
All in all, caring for cashmere is an investment in both style and longevity. Following these simple yet effective steps ensures that your lux cashmere pieces remain soft, vibrant, and timeless.
We understand that things don't always work out. We offer easy returns in-store or by mail.
Come see the product up close at our Flagship Store.
For local orders, in-store pickup is available for no cost.
Your clothing should always represent you well, whether you bought it yesterday or 5 years ago.
Our brand new flagship store in Edmonton, Alberta is now open to serve you! In our mission to provide Edmonton with an elevated experience, our vision for this store was something spanning multiple floors with a unique experience on every level.